Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Just Love Stickers

Maybe it's the feeling they get when they peel a sticker off of the sheet or maybe it's the thrill of never knowing what sticker choices they will have. I'm not sure what it is, but all of my students LOVE working on Sticker Stories (even, my reluctant writers!)!!!

Here's the deal. I collect stickers whenever I can so I always have a stash ready to go. I let the children CHOOSE up to 3 stickers and they get to CHOOSE what to write about. It's all about CHOICE people! :)

The stories can be nonfiction or fiction - the students CHOOSE

The point is to get the students writing. I want them to LOVE to write. 

I also want them to build their writing stamina, foster their creativity, and increase their reading and writing competence/independence!

When I introduce Sticker Stories, I explain my expectations during our small group time. Then, before I allow them to work independently, I let them practice at my reading table. I have found that doing it this way allows my reluctant and/or struggling writers to gain confidence. 

I have made this freebie available for you in my TPT shop.




This freebie comes with 2 writing templates: 1 with an editing checklist to support those who need it and 1 without.

Also, check out my A Sight for Sore Eyes: A Fresh Look at the First 60 Fry Words packet and Let's Go Sight Seeing: A Fresh Look at Fry Sight Words #61 - 120 packet. Each of these packets include Sticker Stories that include a sight word competent. A MUST for all of your kiddos. :) 

Seriously, why are you still reading this? Go get your freebie!

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! I remember a 1st grade teacher I used to teach with would collect all kinds of little trinkets at garage sales and from her students (McDonald's toys and things like that). Then she would choose 3-4 of those and put into a bag, and the students had to create a story using those 4 things. I tried it in my 3rd grade that year, and they loved it. I haven't taught creative writing since that year with all the testing, but I remember enjoying it.
    ~Angela
    Gig ‘Em Teacher

    ReplyDelete